Rutgers Student Contracts Meningitis
By: Akia Thorpe
NEW BRUNSWICK – A Rutgers student, currently unnamed, was hospitalized on Friday, March 18 after being diagnosed with bacterial Meningitis.
Bacterial meningitis is known to be more severe than viral, however both tend to result in inflammation around the brain and spinal cord.
Symptoms, which can appear a few hours or days after contracting the virus, may include fever, headache and neck stiffness or confusion.
Rutgers officials have made it clear this is not passed through casual contact, though the disease is contagious. Instead the disease may be passed through coughing, sneezing, sexual actions and more of such contact.
Still, a warning has been issued out to those who have recently come in contact with the student. As a precaution, such students may be treated with preventive antibiotics.
Rutgers has stressed the severity of the issue by reminding students and members of the community of the convenient health care services on campus, should anyone be concerned of possible symptoms.
Students seeking such services can visit Hurtado Health Center on College Avenue, the Busch/Livingston Health Center and the Cook/Douglass Health Center.
Rutgers Health Service and other New Jersey health officials are continuing to work on a plan of action for the student’s treatment.